Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sewing Machines

I really do love to sew - I mean, really REALLY! There is nothing more relaxing and therapeutic than sitting at my sewing machine after a stressful day at my *regular* job at our local hospital. The hum of my brand new fancy-schmancy computerized sewing machine is so soothing. Yet, I miss the clickety-whirr of the machine I learned to sew on, back in the day when computerized machines were just a twinkle in the eye of sewing machine manufacturers. There was something mesmerizing about the rhythmic machinery sound as I sat as a fifth grader making my very first dress. I guess that's why I am drawn to vintage sewing machines - that unique clickety-whirr sound of my childhood.


Here is a picture of my little collection of vintage mechanical sewing machines.  They all work!  My favorite is the aqua and white beauty in front - it was my grandmother's.   Do you have a favorite memory about learning to sew?  I'd love to hear it!

2 comments:

J.D. Meier said...

It sounds like you found a healthy passion that renews you. Way to go!

Linda Everett said...

Hey soul (or sewl) sister - I'm so with you on this! I have my shiny new digital Janome - works like a dream. My sister still has our Nana's old singer - brown metal, super sturdy, only 1 stitch (straight) and it still works!