Wednesday, April 15, 2009

6 pounds 4 ounces less


I struck a great deal at my local thrift shop here in Goodland, Kansas, today.   I mean it, I almost feel guilty except for one thing - I saved 6 pounds and 4 ounces of stained and ripped T-shirts from going into our local landfill.  Let me explain:

For whatever reason, people often donate things that are really not useable rather than throw them away themselves.  One day I asked LaVaughn, the thrift shop manager, if I could go through the unwearable Tees and buy them for cheap.  Well, I wasn't prepared for how cheap!  I paid $1.00 for 6 pounds and 4 ounces of 100% cotton T-shirts, thus saving them from the landfill!

You ask, what will you do with those unwearables?  I bring them home, wash them and sanitize them (using a chemical-free method the EPA recommends), and then I cut around the stains and holes and use the beautiful cotton fabric to make wrist cuff wallets.    

1 comment:

Jane Pierce aka zJayne said...

Wow...such a deal!

I had to stop by and share that I have one of Mary's awesome wristbands. Frankly, I too am a tShirt-aholic but that's another story.... what she's made in this wristband is quality, creative and I am glad to have crossed paths with her.

Basically, you rock Mary! Yup!
Peace,
Jane aka zJayne