Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Shredded Wheat Bread

My very favorite cereals of all time is shredded wheat, the miniature ones frosted with sugar.  I buy it in those big bags.  I am in such a rut - Every single morning I fill my soup bowl with the handle on it with shredded wheat and soy milk.  The bowl is the perfect size and the portion is just right for a good breakfast that gets me going in the morning.  The only problem is when all the little shredded wheat biscuits are gone, a pile of crushed cereal remains in the bottom of the bag.  Call my picky, but I really don't like crushed shredded wheat and milk.  

So rather than throw away perfectly good crushed shredded wheat crumbs, I searched the internet for a shredded wheat bread recipe that I could bake in my bread machine and found a great recipe called "Joan's Shredded Wheat Bread." 

Here's the recipe:
1 1/4 cup water
2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP honey
1/2 tsp salt (You can put less in to taste)
1/2 cup shredded wheat finely crushed (this is where the crumbs in the bottom of the bag come in)
1 1/4 cup bread flour
1 1/2 tsp yeast
2 TBSB gluten flour
Then you just turn on your bread machine according to the instructions.  I did discover that it works better if you put all the dry ingredients in first.  



Here's my loaf of bread - It really turned out good.  Thank you, Joan, wherever you are!

No comments: