Thursday, March 27, 2008

New Dress

I have definitely been in the mood for sewing.  I had found this beautiful lavender colored linen dress at the United Methodist Thrift Shop in St. Francis, Kansas,  and even though I knew it wouldn't fit me, I bought it anyway for the fabric. I cut the dress apart and used the fabric to make this cute spring little girl's dress.  Since the fabric is so beautiful, I put extra care into the construction by making all french seams and then hand-sewing the linen bias facings.  I put a line down the center of shell pink and milk chocolate polka dot grosgrain ribbon for just a touch of contrast, and the back neck closure is an antique pearl button.  It was really a lot of fun to take something that was not being used and re-imagine it and give it a second life.  

  

Here is the original linen dress cut apart 
and ready to be given a second life.

  

Here is the linen dress re-imagined into a 
cute spring dress for a little girl. 


Here is a detail of the back of the dress.

No comments: